Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Tuesday, 29 January: Whole30 Day 3

So, last night was awful. I did not sleep well at all. I tossed and turned and wriggled. I was too hot, trapped between a husband and a kitten who are both very affectionate heat seeking missiles. I felt like I was waking up every half an hour, and in my hazy sleep fog I felt a sense of dread. I knew that morning was coming and my alarm was going to go off and I was going to struggle out of bed. I needed to make breakfast for the husband before I drove him to university, and I knew that I had to work my last shift at the restaurant on Tuesday night. I have had these restless nights before, and the next morning is awful.

My alarm went off at 7AM, and I reached up and hit the snooze. I have gotten into the habit the last few weeks of setting my alarm for fifteen to thirty minutes early so I have time to wake up. I know. Thirty minutes to come out of my morning grog and get my feet on the floor. It's been bad. But, there was my alarm going off in my ear. Snooze hit and my eyes suddenly opened of their own accord. I was sleepy, but the morning grog was suspiciously absent.

I lay still for my fifteen minutes of extra time, allowing my senses to come up to the same level of consciousness that my brain was feeling. I cuddled my kitten and snuggled up closer to the husband and was just quiet. My brain felt peaceful and very alert. After fifteen minutes of this, I easily rolled over and got out of bed. There was no knee pain when my feet hit the floor. Nothing creaked or complained or was stiff.

There was no rush to get out the door this morning because I got up on time. I took my time making breakfast and let the husband sleep in. The coffee finished just as he was done with his shower. We sat down together for breakfast and left the house on time.

Can every morning be like this, forever? Please?

I'm not claiming a miracle, but I feel freaking awesome today. I am bright eyed and bushy tailed, in spite of the horrible night of sleep. I've been up for hours and the knee pain hasn't returned. I feel peppy and spirited. I have errands to run before I get ready for my evening shift tonight and I don't feel discouraged by that knowledge.

I've heard that day 2 on Whole30 is when this invincible feeling usually hits. You feel super alert and unconquerable. It couldn't have come at a better time. I think I'll do a workout today before I get ready for work.

The Menu





The Breakfast

Scotch Freaking Eggs. That's all. It's a boiled egg with sausage wrapped around it.
I bet you're regretting skipping breakfast.
I'm regretting every breakfast I ever skipped. 

The Dinner

Oxtail Stew
Dinner happened in a mason jar tonight because I had to work
my last ever shift as a waitress :)

The Scotch eggs were amazing. Two of them were actually a little much for me and the husband. Neither of us could finish them, and his ended up going along as part of his lunch for the day.

The oxtail stew prompted some strange reactions among my coworkers. One of them asked me, "Are you eating apple butter out of the jar?"

Oh, it was so much better than apple butter. Oxtail stew is fantastic. I had to "Whole30 it up" for this one. Normally you boil the oxtails in wine and stock. I dropped the wine entirely, although I probably unwittingly transgressed because I dumped in some red wine vinegar for flavor, which I am sure converted to sugar quickly in my system. It was pretty minimal and added a great flavor, though. I used more turnips and carrots than usual in lieu of potatoes, and added in some leftover roasted cabbage. The result was pretty phenom. It's definitely one of my favorites, and very filling. I could not finish that jar up there and I stowed the rest in the fridge for later.

As a side note, my energy never decreased on Tuesday. I actually volunteered to close at the restaurant because the hostess had been there all day. I finished a little after midnight and was still bouncy as could be. The husband is fighting some sinus congestion and is a little less sparky, but he drolly appreciates how much better I'm feeling. 

On to day four!

No comments:

Post a Comment