Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Monday, 28 January: Whole30 Day 2

Today has been so-so for me. My knee pain is still present, and I am not feeling any change in energy. My mood has lifted a little. Depression has been lurking for the past several months, and this past month it's been particularly hard to dodge. Today I am feeling a little more hopeful and a little more confident. But that might be because I have the day off and don't have to worry about going to work later.

The knee pain is still making me a little sulky. I don't want to go out of the house, even to go to the laundromat down the street. I sent the husband out to do that, which gave him time to catch up on reading. Four out of six classes this semester are literature classes. Reading is how we spend our evenings, which quite frankly has been nice. It feels more productive than just browsing page after page on Reddit.

Since I didn't want to leave the house, I spent most of the day doing food prep and cooking. The kitchen felt clean and welcoming today, and I was pretty happy to just stay in that room for the majority of the day. I also got to Skype with my parents back home, which bolstered my mood.

Now, down to the good stuff!


The Menu

I love my chalkboard wall <3

The Breakfast

Breakfast Blooms with paprika, chicken sausage with cilantro, and coffee
(A boiled egg for the husband, who has trouble with eggs)

The Dinner

Grass-fed flank steak, roasted cabbage and chili-lime sweet potato fries.

The marinade I used on the roasted cabbage is certainly worth mentioning. I used equal parts organic butter, Bragg's amino acids, and dijon mustard, along with a little teaspoon of horseradish. The effect was wonderful, and I used a similar quick marinade on the flank steak. Even the sweet potato fries got dipped in the leftover sauce. I can tell it's going to be a staple this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment